Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Tata's Gift: ¡Culturazo!

Another lesson for Día de Muertos... or other times, since this is pretty versatile. Show this 7 minute short video from Los Cenzontles (which I discovered via the ever-amazing Zachary Jones!)


Connections:

  • Cultural identity
  • Traditional visuals & music
  • Día de Muertos
  • My favorite - adding -azo to the end of words in Spanish!

I've used this to kick off leveled writing prompts:

  1. Beginner: Write a list of symbolic articles that someone might give you.
    Un libro, una foto, una guitarra...
  2. Intermediate: Write a list of symbolic articles that someone might give you, and why.
    Un libro, porque tenemos muchos libros.
  3. Advanced: Write a few paragraphs about symbolic articles that someone might give you, and why. (Using conditional or other targeted grammar patterns.)
    Mi familia me daría un libro, porque en nuestra casa siempre tuvimos muchos libros. Todavía recuerdo cuando mi mamá me enseño a leer y la primera vez que podía leer una frase entera en un libro.
Here's the sheet I used with my high school elective class, which has mixed levels (and could probably be left as sub plans.)

No comments:

Post a Comment